For those of you who don't know Grandpa Hurst, Grandpa was an avid family historian. He spent his retirement years working at the family history library and helping people with their work. He loved it. The family still jokes that you had to watch out for Grandpa Hurst because he would trap you in a corner and tell you about your ancestors.
When I was in college, our ward was big into family history. At the time I was feeling overwhelmed with my studies and was unsure about adding more. When I mentioned this to Grandpa he told me there is a time and a season for family history, and that family history is best for old people like him. I took it to heart and have never worried about it since. A few months ago I got called as a ward family history consultant. While the bishop was extending the calling all I could think was, "I guess Grandpa Hurst was wrong."
I'm not sure that I have felt the Spirit of Elijah in my calling, but I can say I have felt the memory of Grandpa Hurst. When I serve at the library or attend in-service meetings I am one of the youngest by 30 years. This calling is full of "Grandpa Hursts". Men and women who know more about doing the work than you can imagine. When I serve at the library, there are 2-3 "Grandpa Hursts" there serving also. I take my laptop and plunk down right next to one of my favorites. I soak in the memory of Grandpa Hurst while we silently do our work. I love it.
I can't say I've found any new names (still hoping Grandpa is working it from the other side), but I have been reminded of the many ways Grandpa influenced me through his family history. Shortly after receiving my endowment, Grandpa Hurst handed me a stack of 10 family names to take through the temple. Knowing how precious family names are, and the amount of time it takes to find family names, I still get teary eyed remembering that he allowed me to take part in his work.
As I mentioned, telling stories was a favorite of Grandpa's. I still remember watching the 4th of July fireworks on the lawn of the Logan hospital, snuggling in Grandpa's arms, hearing him tell me stories about being in the air force. Or, having him stop by the hospital, family history in hand, and reading me his personal family history stories.
The other day, I did my first bit of family history work. I sourced Grandpa Hurst's record in FamilySearch, attaching his gravestone to his name. Miss you Grandpa.