Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Harry

Harrison turned 14 this year.  It has been a great year for him, and a busy one for us.  There are many favorite memories, here are a few highlights of the year.
  • One weekend when David was travelling, I asked Harrison what he wanted to do.  The answer was clear: dry ice.  Naively, I agreed.  5 lbs of dry ice later, I was introduced to the many experiments possible.  We did dry ice bubbles, dry ice drinks, explosions, and many more things.  At one point he innocently asked what would happen if he swallowed some dry ice.  Alarmed, I threatened his life if he ever swallowed it, that it would expand in his belly like a bomb.  He then admitted, he had "accidentally" swallowed some.  He then explained that he had some really powerful and painful farts for awhile.  I laughed, and we had a great time.
  • We did not use all of the dry-ice on Saturday, and stored the rest in the freezer.  Before leaving for church, I very clearly told Harrison he was not allowed to use the dry ice while I was gone.  I came home to find him smiling like a mad scientist, the sink full of dry ice smoke.  Lesson learned.


  • We got a fire pit for our wedding.  Good thing, because Harrison is the #1 user of the fire pit.  A friend had given us a bunch of tree rounds.  When Harrison found these, he chopped the rounds into logs with a hatchet.  That is all we had at the time.  The weekend of the dry ice, Harrison slyly mentioned that we needed an axe and I had promised I would get one.  We headed off to Lowe's.  He was thrilled and couldn't wait to use it.  I was amazed to see Harrison be able to chop the wood with just one swing, wow.

  • One evening I heard Harrison running around the house and frantically calling for his dad.  Not finding him, he burst in to tell me that he thought he was in trouble and that there was a man outside threatening to call the police.  A man had brought Harrison home because he and 2 friends had lit a fire in the park and were jumping over it with bikes.  The man was concerned about their house that was near the park.  They had taken lighter fluid from his friend's house to light the fire.  Want to know whose idea it was?  Harrison's, he talked the two friends into it.  He has been suffering as he lost fire for six months because of it.
  • Harrison has been working in the office at school as an aid.   He brings them hot beverages and they bring him snacks.  The ladies love him, and he knows it.  We have heard many times how great he is. 
  • Brandon found T-Rex in the toy box and Harrison latched on, bringing it with him to run errands.  Do not be fooled by this sweet picture of Harrison hugging T-Rex.  T-Rex makes a squeaking sound when squeezed.  He used this to irritate his parents by squeezing it about 50 times during a 5 minute period.  He got paid $1 to release T-Rex, it is now hidden.