Harrison turned 13 this week. I’ve only known this kid for a few short
years, lived with him for only a matter of weeks, and already I am
smitten. He is quite the gentleman and has a heart of gold. I find myself laughing every
day with this kid. Here are a few memories of his 12th
year.
·
When I asked him if he had washed his football
uniform he confided, “I can wear my football uniform four times before it needs
to be washed. My dad doesn’t think so,
but it’s fine.” We washed his uniform …
·
Finding out that when receiving an assignment to
write a paper about his family, Harrison wrote about his ugly stepsister. He wrote about how much she smelled, that she
was flatulent a lot, and that she was pretty ugly. The teacher was concerned and called him in. Only then did he decide to tell her that his “stepsister”
was a bulldog.
·
For weeks trying to talk me into buying a
certain lighter that he could make into a flame thrower for his birthday. According to him, he promised he would never
use it in the house. J
(He got an iTunes gift card for his birthday instead of a
flamethrower/lighter.)
·
Coming home from work one day to find him with a
very large bandage on his thumb. When
asked, he was creating a flame thrower in the backyard with a coke bottle and
lighter that got a little out of hand.
According to him, he “only got hurt a little bit.”
·
Coming home from work one day to have him ask,
“Kimberly, I can’t say how I know this, but why do you have pepper spray in
your drawer.” (I later learned he was
searching for his lighter he lost after burning himself making the flame
thrower.) The kid has an insatiable
curiosity and no boundaries, I’m sure he knows what is in our room better than
I do.
·
When finding a 2 liter bottle that I had filled
with water and frozen, begging for days to smash it in the road. (We did cave on that one.)
·
For his 13th birthday party he wanted
a chocolate fountain. They ate a ton,
did chocolate shots, and then entertained themselves by turning on the touch
faucet with their tongues.
·
Losing terribly to him at Monopoly. He wasn’t satisfied to just win, he insisted
we play until I was bankrupt.
·
When girls were blocking his locker at school
and would not move, he knew just how to solve the problem. He “lifted his leg and farted”. He then proclaimed proudly, “They moved!”
I was in college when Greg went through the teenage years,
and was not around much. I think I
missed out. Teenage boys are a riot, thankfully
David can keep one step ahead. I just
watch in awe (and try to make sure he doesn’t burn anything down.) Attached is a video of Harrison’s friends
singing to him at his 13th birthday party. It truly was a unique experience. To get the full effect, turn the volume up to
high.
Love,
Kimberly